2019-2020 Lecture Series
The University of Arkansas Department of Education Reform is pleased to announce these events as part of our 2019-2020 Lecture Series. Unless otherwise indicated, all lectures will be held at noon Fridays in GRAD 343 (Note: both lectures in January will be in GRAD 309). Please make sure to RSVP before 1 p.m. on the Wednesday before the scheduled lecture. If you have any questions, please direct them to Matt Lee.
Fall 2019 Lecture Series
September 6, 2019: Joshua Dunn
Professor and Chair of the Department of Political Science, University of Colorado Colorado Springs
Lecture Title: "The Elephant in the Classroom: Conservative Professors, Viewpoint Diversity, and Higher Education."
- Joshua M. Dunn. The Steep Price of Political Homogeneity: Political Bias Undermines Education Scholarship. Education Week. January 11, 2017.
- Jon A. Shields and Joshua M. Dunn. Campus Unicorns: Conservative Teachers. Wall Street Journal Opinion. April 20, 2016.
- Jon A. Shields and Joshua M. Dunn. Academia isn't all that bad for conservative professors. The Washington Post. March 11, 2016.
- Jon A. Shields and Joshua M. Dunn. Do universities need affirmative action for conservative professors? Los Angeles Times. March 18, 2016.
October 4, 2019: Robert Kunzman
Professor, Armstrong Chair for Teacher Education, Indiana University School of Education
Lecture Title: "Horace Mann’s Nightmare? Searching for Ties that Bind."
- Albert Cheng (2014) Does Homeschooling or Private Schooling Promote Political Intolerance? Evidence From a Christian University, Journal of School Choice: International Research and Reform, 8:1, 49-68, DOI: 10.1080/15582159.2014.875411
- Kunzman, Robert (2017) Homeschooler Socialization: Skills, Values, and Citizenship. The Wiley Handbook of Home Education, First Edition. Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Kunzman, Robert. Becoming a Public. Write These Laws on your Children: Inside the World of Conservative Christian Homeschooling. Beacon Press, Boston.
October 11, 2019: Frank Worrell
Professor of School Psychology, Graduate School of Education, UC Berkley
Lecture Title: "Students' Thoughts About the Past, Present, and Future: Supporting Resilience and Promoting Well-Being."
- Dixson, D. D., Worrell, F. C., & Mello, A. R. (2017). Profiles of hope: How clusters of hope relate to school variables. Learning and Individual Differences, 59, 55–64.
- Wells, K. E., McKay, M. T., Morgan, G. B., & Worrell, F. C. (2018). Time attitudes predict changes in adolescent self-efficacy: A 24-month latent transition mover-stayer analysis. Journal of Adolescence, 62, 27–37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2017.10.005
- Worrell, F. C., Andretta, J. R.,Wells., K. E., Cole, J. C., & McKay, M. T. (in press). Time attitudes and mental well-being, psychological, and somatic symptomatology in final year high school students. Current Psychology.
November 22, 2019: A. Brooks Bowden
Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Education, University of Pennsylvania
Lecture Title: "Simplifying Cost Study Design for Education Field Trials"
- Belfield, Clive R. & Bowden, A. Brooks (2018). Using Resource and Cost Considerations to Support Educational Evaluation: Six Domains. Educational Researcher, Vol. XX No. X, pp. 1-8.
- Robin, Jacob, Armstrong, Catherine, Bowden, A. Brooks & Yilin Pan (2016). Leveraging Volunteers: An Experimental Evaluation of a Tutoring Program for Struggling Readers. Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness. 9:sup1, 67-92.
- Bowden, Brooks A., Shand, Robert, Belfield, Clive R., Wang, Anyi, & Levin, Henry M. (2016). Evaluating Educational Interventions That Induce Service Receipt: A Case Study Application of City Connects. American Journal of Evaluation 1-15.
- Levin, Henry M. & Belfield, Clive (2014). Guiding the Development and Use of Cost-Effectiveness Analysis in Education. Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness.
December 6, 2019: Kalena Cortes
Associate Professor, Bush School of Government and Public Service, Texas A&M University
Lecture Title: "When Behavioral Barriers are Too High or Low - How Timing Matters for Parenting Interventions"
- Cortes, Kalena E., Fricke, Hans D.U., Loeb, Susanna, Song, David S., York, Benjamin N. (2019) When Behavioral Barriers are Too High or Low - How Timing Matters for Parenting Interventions. NBER Working Paper No. 25964.
- Benjamin N. York & Susanna Loeb & Christopher Doss, 2019. One Step at a Time. Journal of Human Resources, vol 54(3), pages 537-566.
- Christopher Doss & Erin M. Fahle & Susanna Loeb & Benjamin N. York, 2019. More Than Just a Nudge. Journal of Human Resources, vol 54(3), pages 567-603.
- Cortes, Kalena E., Fricke, Hans, Loeb, Susanna, Song, David S. (2018) Too Little or Too Much? Actionable Advice in an Early-Childhood Text Messaging Experiment. NBER Working Paper No. 24827.
Spring 2020 Lecture Series
January 31, 2020: Amber Simpson (GRAD 309)
Assistant Professor, Department of Teaching, Learning, and Educational Leadership, Binghamton University State University of New York
Lecture Title: "Rethinking Education through Making and Tinkering: The Possibilities and the Tensions"
- Simpson, Amber (2020) In Transition: A Self-Study of Instructional Practices as an Informal Educator Objectives. AERA.
- Simpson, Amber, Barnes, Jackie & Maltese, Adam V. (2019) A Shared Language: Two Worlds Speaking to One Another through Making and Tinkering Activities. Koninklijke Brill NV, A Shared Language CH 13.
February 21, 2020: Mike Kofoed
Assistant Professor of Economics, United States Military Academy at West Point
Lecture Title: "Army Enlistment and Free Community College: The Case of Tennessee Promise."
Suggested Readings: TBA
February 28, 2020: Umut Ozek
Senior Researcher, American Institutes for Research
Lecture Title: “The Effects of Disaster Migrants on Host Communities: The Case of Hurricane Maria.”
Suggested Readings: TBA
March 13, 2020: Takisha Moncrief
Professional Development Partner, Moncrief One Team
Lecture Title: "Developing a Leader Identity: A Solution to Increasing Teacher Efficacy and Adolescent Literacy Efficacy."
- Wenner, Julianne A. & Campbell, Todd (2017) The Theoretical and Empirical Basis of Teacher Leadership: A Review of the Literature. Review of Educational Research, 87(1), pp. 134-171. SAGE Publications.
- Salinger, Terry. (2011) Addressing the "Crisis" in Adolescent Literacy. Smaller Learning Communities Program, American Institutes for Research.
- Klassen, Robert M., Tze, Virginia M.C., Betts, Shea M. & Gordon, Kelly A. (2010) Teacher Efficacy Research 1998-2009: Signs of Progress or Unfulfilled Promise? Springer Science+Business Media, LLC.
April 24, 2020: Kathaleena Monds
Founding Director of the Center for Educational Opportunity, Albany State University
Lecture Title: TBA
Suggested Readings: TBA